Jan 9, 2011
USA vs Karen Hanover
411 W 4th St.
Santa Ana, CA
Court called to order and the first one up was her Attorney
- Karen Attorney speaks…Karen has been having treatments and she has been identified to have 3 types of “sickness”. I was only told about the “anxiety problems” and she would not allow the other two be identified by me. He stated,” that because of this that the court system should take this into consideration for her sentencing.
Our attorney agreed with the judge and no comment.
- Judge…at this time the judge said that she would like to discuss how the sentencing was calculated. Told Karen that probation is a consideration and government rules are up to “6”. Because of fraud, that would be 6, because of spoofing and other charges that would be 21. Now this would be a total of 37-46. This is over the limit that the government allows for punishment on these charges.
- Money charges could be 500 to 5000 plus 100 dollars for other offense.
- Karen attorney: First I would like to tell you that Karen had her parents drive her here and because they are elderly would like to get this case over as soon as possible. Next, I want a lower sentence because Karen has never been arrested and has never committed a serious offence, nor does she have a police record.
- I want to point out that because she made one mistake she will now never be able to hold a public office. Be able to be self employed or teach on what she has been trained to do.
- I have never heard in my whole life of “6” be given out because of this small of case. Considering she is a good citizen and she has admitted that she should be punished then I would like to have her sentence to:
ii. Community service
iii. And Home detention
- Karen talks: She is crying and sobbing…I want to apology to Becky but she is not here. Sobbing…I want to say I am sorry because it was not her fault. I caved under pressure and I went into the twilight zone. This conduct is not me and I will abide to what you, the judge says. I want to say thank you judge because I know that you have been more than fair through this whole trial and this is all my fault…sobbing as she walk away.
- Our attorney: Sorry… Karen is sorry, but sorry for what and at which time. The time that she has the neighbors call and get Becky fired. The time that Karen put police reports against and harassed Becky. Or the spoofing incident. Her attorney painted a bleak picture of Karen and I am asking for an appropriate sentence to what she has done.
- 3552a is a two way street… she is a danger to people and as long as she is on the street, she needs to be kept away from people that she is going to harm next.
- Her pattern of life is she threatens, lies, and cheats. She should not be able to teach because she will lie and then takes money from people.
- Judge: reason for sentencing (History)…
- Defendant against her (Becky) for Spoofing, etc. (Court case won)
- Told Becky that Karen’s father was a judge. JUDGE SAID NOT TRUE.
- Karen sent in letters to judge from different people…stating that Karen was a good person.
i. JUDGE SAID THESE LETTERS WERE NOT TRUE.
- Karen has admitted that she if responsible. JUDGE STATED TRUE STATEMENT.
- SENTENCING: 3 COUNTS
- PRISON 6 MONTHS
- PROBATION PAYMENT…all money received from lottery, inheritance, fed/State taxes will be given to court.
- 100 dollars due today and 25.00 per quarter
- Something about evaluations and counseling…Karen will pay for all treatments
- Full time employment once she is out of prison. Not to be self-employed, or by a friend or family. Probation office will be evaluating this job position
- Self Surrender
Our attorney asked for it to be soon and not 30 day or more.
- First fact…she has no facility to go to which takes 4-6 weeks. \
- Will file a motion against this and that will take 30 to 60 days.
- Our attorney: Waiting 30 days does not serve any purpose.
- Her attorney – Nobody can tell the jails what to do.
COURT ORDERS: Surrender on or before Jan 17, 2011 to the court Marshall at 411 W. 4th st.